Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Low-Fat Caesar Salad Dressing

As of late I've been following Weight Watchers diet program, and I'm only going to tell you that once. I'm continuing to cook and eat good food—not diet food. That said, my future recipes may have a bit of a spin on them. Perhaps the original recipe, and how I prepared it, or what I substituted to make it "healthier."

On salad dressings, then: I haven't met a bottled, low-cal, low-fat salad dressing that I can tolerate yet, and I've tried them all. The ranches, and the vinaigrettes, and the no-calorie spritzes. I use salsa on mexican salads, a splash of balsamic on others. But I wanted a good, delicous dressing that didn't run ramshod over my beautiful salad, transforming it into merely "tolerable." Here's what I came up with:



Low-Fat Caesar Salad Dressing

  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 t. anchovy paste
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup of low-fat mayo (I used the type made with olive oil)
  • splash of worcestershire sauce
  • juice from 1/2 lemon

Mix all of these ingredients together, and stir in:

  • 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese

Voila! It's garlicy and tangy and delicious.

This dressing, obviously, is not without calories. I calculate about 68 calories per tablespoon, but a tablespoon goes a long way if you toss the salad in the dressing to coat. With all of the other powerful flavors in the dressing, it might be ok if made with fat-free mayo also.